Final two days to sign petition.
The Government’s manifesto stated “we will make intentional trespass a criminal offence”: This is an extreme, illiberal and unnecessary attack on ancient freedoms that would threaten walkers, campers, and the wider public. It would further tilt the law in favour of the landowning 1% who own half the country.
For a thousand years, trespass has been a civil offence – but now the Government is proposing to make trespass a criminal offence: a crime against the state.
Doing so could:
– Criminalise ramblers who stray even slightly from the path
– Remove the ability of local residents to establish new rights of way
– Criminalise wild camping, denying hikers a night under the stars
– Clamp down on peaceful protest, a fundamental right and essential part of our democracy
– Impact Traveller communities.
Sign this petition